Calico Cottage
 |
| Calico Cottage, May 2026 |
Vintage
quilt blocks nearly always capture my attention. I appreciate the
designs, the colors, the fabric and the skills involved. Some are
simple, others very intricate, and I want to sew them all!
This
quilt features a relatively easy one published in the Kansas City
Star (July 1943) as Mountain Peak, and also in Farm Journal (1877 –
1970) where it was called Old Italian Design. BlockBase and EQ8
software were used to lay out the pattern that I adapted to use Blue
Wren’s Dandy 4” and Accuquilt’s 4” square die.
I
cut a variety of floral, plaid, dotted, and striped vintage look
fabrics plus white muslin. There are twenty-five unique 9” blocks.
Sashing between them is 1” strips of a gray and white number print,
also used in the 2” border.
A
thrifted sheet with small pink roses was used for backing. Circular
shapes with loops were quilted as an allover design, using white
thread and a circle ruler on my Janome.
Calico
Cottage finished at 50½”
square. Can’t you just
see it on a cottage bed back in the 30’s or 40’s? I stitched this happy little quilt in May. I enjoy adding
my own flair as I re-create these antique designs.
Dies
used:
Blue
Wren
6292
Dandy 4”
6015
Strips 1”
Accuquilt
55018
Square 4”
55017
Strips 2½”