
Eureka! August 2026
I
finally solved the puzzle to make this block with dies. It’s my
variation of the Wensleydale by Jen Kingwell. I love her work and
admire all her beautiful designs.

There’s
a back story here. First, I do NOT enjoy paper piecing—too much
cutting and trimming and tearing. I’m spoiled by my Accuquilt
cutter, dies, and Blue Wren dies. With them I rarely have to trim or
square up blocks after sewing.
I
wanted to find an easy way to reproduce the Wensleydale look using
the dies I have but just couldn’t figure it out. After several attempts
and adjusting my design more than once, I finally have a similar version that I
like. Here’s a few photos to show how it goes together.
The
center is Blue Wren’s 3” x 6” Diamond in Rectangle, then I
added Accuquilt’s 3” Triangle in Square sections and finished off
with 3” x 6” Half Rectangle Triangles around the block. It is
not a perfect copy of her design but my interpretation of that style.
It
felt so great to finish this quilt. I used blue, green, tan, cream
and white scraps. After joining the blocks, I added 3” borders.
Quilting with light blue thread, I outlined the large diamonds in
straight stitches. Eureka! finished at 53” square.
If
you like paper piecing, please buy Jen Kingwell’s books and
templates to make her Wensleydale design. You may reproduce my die
cut version for your own use, but, as with all my quilts, please do
not publish or sell the pattern.
Dies
used:
Blue
Wren 6381 Diamond in a Rectangle 3” x 6” finished
Accuquilt
55027
Triangle in a Square 3” finished
55411
Half Rectangle Triangle 3” x 6” finished
55032
Strips 3” borders
55017
Strips 2” binding


