Monday, August 21, 2023

Wild Triangles

Wild Triangles
I absolutely love this quilt!


It is a new Blue Wren die, actually one that I requested. The design is based on two vintage blocks, Pine Burr and Lost Children.


While I was waiting for it to arrive from Australia, I pulled all the bright colors I could find from my scrap bins. Once it was delivered, I got to cutting. I used Bogart, our recently restored Wrinkle finish Singer 99, for piecing. A navy mini dot frames the blocks nicely.



Quilting with medium tan thread, I used the Which Way ruler template for an allover motif. Wild Triangles finished out at 48” square.


The story behind the die: I was trying to create this block using shapes from my current die inventory, but had to hand cut one of the angled sections. I wasn't happy with my result, so I sent the idea to Norma and Edward at Blue Wren. Thanks for a perfect die! I already have three more layouts done in EQ8.

Dies used:
Blue Wren 6555 Pine Island (Pine Burr) 6” quarter square
Accuquilt 55054 Strip 4½” border
Accuquilt 55017 Strip 2½” sashing/binding



Not Perfect

Oh, yeah, here's the table mat made from my original experiment. The blocks are turned for a different appearance. Just don't look too closely at those points! 


For the back, I cut 4” x 8” half rectangles (Blue Wren 6038) to make it reversible. I quilted this one with white thread using a serpentine stitch. The mat is called Not Perfect, and measures 28” square.


Labels

1930's 1942 1969 accountability Accuquilt adapt adjust adventure advice affirmations amazing anniversary antiques Art Deco attitude Australia autumn baby quilt balance batik beach beauty birthday blessing bliss BlockBase Blue Wren Bogie bonus breathe brightness candy cat challenge change chevrons chocolate choice Christmas closet clothes clutter coffee color contentment cooking cottage cotton crafts Craftsman crazy creativity crochet decorating design designs distraction DIY downsizing drama dreams drunkard's path Elna energy EQ8 excitement expectations fabric fall family Featherweight feed sack Fifty flexibility flour sack flowers flying geese Flynn Quilt Frame focus fool free motion free spirit freedom friends fun furniture garden Granny Hill Granny Rose Grasshopper grateful gratitude Halloween happiness hexagon imagination independence insight inspiration intuition inventory Janome joy karma laughter lessons letting go life lists little things love magic mama Memorial Day memories milestones modern Mother's Day motivation Mustang nature opportunity organizing paint paradise passion patience peace perception perspective positive energy productivity purple quilt quilting quotes rainy days reflection refresh relaxation remnant renew resolutions responsibility restoration retro rhythm Rocketeer routines ruler quilting satisfaction scraps sewing sewing machine simplicity simplify Singer Singer 99 Slant-O-Matic 500 snow solitude Southern traditions spring stitching strawberries stress sugar sack summer sunshine thankful Thanksgiving Thoughts tiger oak traditions triangle tropical prints Universal useful valentine vintage violet waiting weather winter wisdom wishes yard sales