Monday, March 23, 2015

Refreshing Change: Sewing Room Update

Spring is here and I made good on my threat of moving furniture in the sewing room. I did it all by myself in an afternoon. I will admit to having felt slider feet on two tables and wheels on another. 
 

I put the sewing table back-to-back with the cutting table in the center of the room. I can walk all the way around with easy access to my wall mounted ironing board, design wall, and storage cabinets. This new island is directly under the ceiling fan/light for nearly perfect illumination. An Ott-Lite bulb in the swing arm fixture plus a small Ott-Lite lamp gives me more brightness at the sewing machine. 
  

My scrap basket organizer and two drawer units are tucked under the island, along with the serger, since I don't use it as often. A simple backless bar stool gives me a place to perch at the higher level cutting table. My desk and wicker chair now face a window beside the closet.

I really like this layout, plus moving things around provided an opportunity to clean and declutter. Things that don't belong somehow have a way of migrating into this room (I blame the cat), but I put them back where they belong. I have two large bags and a box of purged stuff in the car for donation, and I tossed some old magazines after cutting out a few dozen pages for my idea notebooks.

There's more organizing left, and I thought of several other storage ideas, but the room is more functional and less messy. It feels like a little retreat again, a refreshing place to escape, and it only took a day. I highly recommend moving furniture around and creating a new look for spring.



You never know what treasures you have, 
until you clean your room.

Cleaning is just putting stuff in less obvious places.

I can't clean my sewing room 
because I get distracted by the cool stuff I find.



Labels

1930's 1942 1969 accountability Accuquilt adapt adjust adventure advice affirmations amazing anniversary antiques Art Deco attitude Australia autumn baby quilt balance batik beach beauty birthday blessing bliss BlockBase Blue Wren Bogie bonus breathe brightness candy cat challenge change chevrons chocolate choice Christmas closet clothes clutter coffee color contentment cooking cottage cotton crafts Craftsman crazy creativity crochet decorating design designs distraction DIY downsizing drama dreams drunkard's path Elna energy EQ8 excitement expectations fabric fall family Featherweight feed sack Fifty flexibility flour sack flowers flying geese Flynn Quilt Frame focus fool free motion free spirit freedom friends fun furniture garden Granny Hill Granny Rose Grasshopper grateful gratitude Halloween happiness hexagon imagination independence insight inspiration intuition inventory Janome joy karma laughter lessons letting go life lists little things love magic mama Memorial Day memories milestones modern Mother's Day motivation Mustang nature opportunity organizing paint paradise passion patience peace perception perspective positive energy productivity purple quilt quilting quotes rainy days reflection refresh relaxation remnant renew resolutions responsibility restoration retro rhythm Rocketeer routines ruler quilting satisfaction scraps sewing sewing machine simplicity simplify Singer Singer 99 Slant-O-Matic 500 snow solitude Southern traditions spring stitching strawberries stress sugar sack summer sunshine thankful Thanksgiving Thoughts tiger oak traditions triangle tropical prints Universal useful valentine vintage violet waiting weather winter wisdom wishes yard sales