Monday, May 25, 2015

Yard Sale Finds

We were camping at Dale Hollow this year during the annual Highway 52 Yard Sale. I didn't buy much, but we enjoyed a few hours of looking around on Thursday afternoon and met some nice folks.

I picked up the Iris & Herringbone fluted fruit bowl made by Jeannette Glass Company for only $6.  I have a pitcher in this pattern that belonged to my maternal grandmother. She also gave me a few Blue Ridge pottery plates, so I snagged this one for a dollar. That cute little hobnail glass vase and the 1960's era green bamboo pattern square flowerpot were a deal at $2.

I'll have to say I am disappointed at the quality of yard sale offerings lately. While some are nicely presented with reasonably priced things, many that we saw were just piles of garbage that I would have taken to the dump. I know they say one man's trash is another man's treasure, but dirty, smelly clothes and broken, rusty appliances heaped out on the ground isn't my idea of a good yard sale.  I'll skip those, thank you. 
  
 
Remembering our heroes on Memorial Day

"We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, 
but to praise them."  ~Francis A. Walker