We all encounter folks who are just plain aggravating. Some of them enjoy making difficulties for others; some don't realize they are acting inappropriately; some just don't care. Maybe they cross our paths for a reason; to make us think, to remind us of how lucky we are, or to slow us down. Sometimes their actions are simply unexplainable, causing us to throw up our hands, shake our heads and scream.
Coworkers or relatives with these characteristics are difficult to avoid. They push our buttons and cause stress in our lives. Even when we try to help them, they react with excuses, denial and accusations. All of us probably know or have encountered some like these:
- Adults who use silent treatment, gossip, manipulation, and act like spoiled children if they don't get their way
- Ungrateful twerps who constantly take advantage of the generosity of others, yet never offer help to anyone else
- Lazy people who exert more effort trying to avoid work than they would if they just did the job in the first place
- Complainers who whine about what they deserve, how they didn't get a break, and why they shouldn't have to take responsibility
- Individuals who use delay tactics, assign blame to others, offer excuses, justifications, lies and runarounds
- People who always look for the negative, find fault with everything, then wallow in their own unhappiness
- Those who want something for nothing and constantly try to beat the system
- Know-it-alls who just have to get the last word, no matter what the topic or situation
When these toxic people can't or won't change, it's best for our own peace of mind to ignore them. Cut them loose and leave them to their unfortunate, negative existence. After all, we are responsible for our own well being and have the power to choose who stays in our lives.
Useful Notion: Don't be used or worn out like an old doormat. Avoid contact with those who cause unnecessary drama. Keep a bright, positive outlook and don't join in on anyone's pity party. Let them live under a cloud if they choose to do so.
"Life is short and unpredictable. Don't waste another minute on people, places and things that don't make you happy." --Robert Tew