Monday, January 5, 2015

Keeping What Matters

The new year is always a time for me to clean.  I'm taking down holiday decorations, tossing things I won't use, and making our home fresh and cozy for the winter.  It's a new start and a clean slate.

One of my resolutions each year is to get rid of clutter.  I try to use the one thing in, one thing out rule.  But then I watch Antiques Roadshow and see someone who kept two party invitations from the 1930's that are now worth $25,000.  Nevertheless, it's easier now that I'm retired, because I am more aware of the things I use and love.

Other resolutions are to evaluate what works and what doesn't in my life, which adventures I will pursue this year, and who will be along for the ride.  It's not always physical items; people and situations can weigh me down as well.  Several years ago, I found this quote to help me remember that I choose my own path.

"Surround yourself with people who make you happy.
People who make you laugh, 
who help you when you're in need.
People who genuinely care.
They are the ones worth keeping in your life.
Everyone else is just passing through."
~Karl Marx

I apply this statement to people, things, and habits.  They all come and go, and have a purpose for a time.  Why would I hang on to something that has outlived its usefulness?  Or some negative person who is just passing through my life?  I only want what brings me joy and inspires me. I want to keep what matters most to me.



Labels

1930's 1942 1969 accountability Accuquilt adapt adjust adventure advice affirmations amazing anniversary antiques Art Deco attitude Australia autumn baby quilt balance batik beach beauty birthday blessing bliss BlockBase Blue Wren Bogie bonus breathe brightness candy cat challenge change chevrons chocolate choice Christmas closet clothes clutter coffee color contentment cooking cottage cotton crafts Craftsman crazy creativity crochet decorating design designs distraction DIY downsizing drama dreams drunkard's path Elna energy EQ8 excitement expectations fabric fall family Featherweight feed sack Fifty flexibility flour sack flowers flying geese Flynn Quilt Frame focus fool free motion free spirit freedom friends fun furniture garden Granny Hill Granny Rose Grasshopper grateful gratitude Halloween happiness hexagon imagination independence insight inspiration intuition inventory Janome joy karma laughter lessons letting go life lists little things love magic mama Memorial Day memories milestones modern Mother's Day motivation Mustang nature opportunity organizing paint paradise passion patience peace perception perspective positive energy productivity purple quilt quilting quotes rainy days reflection refresh relaxation remnant renew resolutions responsibility restoration retro rhythm Rocketeer routines ruler quilting satisfaction scraps sewing sewing machine simplicity simplify Singer Singer 99 Slant-O-Matic 500 snow solitude Southern traditions spring stitching strawberries stress sugar sack summer sunshine thankful Thanksgiving Thoughts tiger oak traditions triangle tropical prints Universal useful valentine vintage violet waiting weather winter wisdom wishes yard sales