Monday, September 26, 2011

What I Love About Fall


The first day of fall arrived last Friday...finally. I love to experience the changing seasons and this is one of my favorites. When I was working in tourism, autumn was our busiest time of year. With so many meetings, events, bus tours, tournaments and festivals, I really didn't get to enjoy the season. Now I have time to experience the things that make fall so wonderful. Here are a few of my favorites.

Warm Days, Cool Nights – Windows open kind of weather is fabulously refreshing. Highs in the 70's and lows around 55 are the best. I air out the house, sleep with windows open, and let the air conditioner rest after a long hot summer. Sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee in the mornings is just perfect!  And it's time to pull out a quilt or two.

Football – I haven't always been a huge fan, but as I've learned more about the strategies and rules, it's fun to watch some college and NFL games. Having the DVR gives me control of when I want to sit down to enjoy with a big bowl of popcorn.

Festivals & Events – There are many options when it comes to fall events in Tennessee. This year I'm adding a few new ones to my itinerary, like last Saturday's Handmade Harvest in Bethpage. (It was a great first year event, plan to go next year.) Quite a few of them are scheduled at the same time, which makes it difficult to choose. You simply can't attend more than one or two in a day!

Nature's Color – Observing the changing leaves is one of the best things about fall. Sometimes I think they must have done it overnight. Bright reds, yellows, browns and oranges decorate the landscape and create beautiful photo opportunities. Some flowers wilted by the hot summer sun perk up again for a last show of blooms, and happy mums begin to show their faces.

Sweaters & Flannel – I'm an absolute sucker for a pretty sweater, even though I am sort of warm natured. It must be the textures and rich dark colors that get me. I love soft flannel shirts, comfy hoodies and quilted vests too.

Yummy Fall Scents – Cinnamon, cloves, apples, hot chocolate, crushed leaves, moist air after a rain, mums, and more give my senses a treat. On a recent country drive, the smoky scent of tobacco being fired in a barn took me back to my grandaddy's farm.


Useful Notion:  Don't get so busy in your life that you forget to notice the beauty and peacefulness of fall. Use all your senses and take it in!


I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air. 
Nathaniel Hawthorne

####

Labels

1930's 1942 1969 accountability Accuquilt adapt adjust adventure advice affirmations amazing anniversary antiques Art Deco attitude Australia autumn baby quilt balance batik beach beauty birthday blessing bliss BlockBase Blue Wren Bogie bonus breathe brightness candy cat challenge change chevrons chocolate choice Christmas closet clothes clutter coffee color contentment cooking cottage cotton crafts Craftsman crazy creativity crochet decorating design designs distraction DIY downsizing drama dreams drunkard's path Elna energy EQ8 excitement expectations fabric fall family Featherweight feed sack Fifty flexibility flour sack flowers flying geese Flynn Quilt Frame focus fool free motion free spirit freedom friends fun furniture garden Granny Hill Granny Rose Grasshopper grateful gratitude Halloween happiness hexagon imagination independence insight inspiration intuition inventory Janome joy karma laughter lessons letting go life lists little things love magic mama Memorial Day memories milestones modern Mother's Day motivation Mustang nature opportunity organizing paint paradise passion patience peace perception perspective positive energy productivity purple quilt quilting quotes rainy days reflection refresh relaxation remnant renew resolutions responsibility restoration retro rhythm Rocketeer routines ruler quilting satisfaction scraps sewing sewing machine simplicity simplify Singer Singer 99 Slant-O-Matic 500 snow solitude Southern traditions spring stitching strawberries stress sugar sack summer sunshine thankful Thanksgiving Thoughts tiger oak traditions triangle tropical prints Universal useful valentine vintage violet waiting weather winter wisdom wishes yard sales